Records and Agency

Following the publication of the report of the Commission of Inquiry into Mother and Baby Homes and related matters, the issue of records and agency will be discussed. We would like your feedback on this. 

    Question 1

    Given the vitriolic criticism of TUSLA in the Final Report of the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes and Certain Related Matters, do you support the view that the role of TUSLA and the AAI in managing matters relating to historical domestic adoption that they should be replaced in their role in managing all matters relating to historical domestic adoption and that a new agency should be formed to do this?

    Further comment

    Question 2

    There has been understandable anger as a result of testimony reportedly being destroyed by the Commission of Inquiry. Should all stakeholders affected (not just those within the remit of the Commission) be given an opportunity to give recorded testimony and for it to be held in a permanent repository for truth telling and memorialisation?

    Further comment

    Question 3

    Do you think that files from historical domestic adoption and files from the Commission of Investigation should be subject to the same data access guidelines and should be accessible through the same agency?

    Further comment

    Question 4

    Do you agree that all grounds surrounding mother and baby homes and other homes should be under State control?

    Further comment

    Question 5

    Do you feel that there should be an investigation of grounds surrounding all former homes to include Mother and Baby Homes, Baby Homes and Official and Unofficial Homes?

    Further comment

    Question 6

    Is there anything further you wish to add or any observations you wish to make? 

    Please use the text box below to add anything further or make any observations.

    Counselling supports

    If you have been affected in any way by the above survey, there are counselling supports available.

    For any former residents of Mother and Baby Homes, the HSE National Counselling Service (NCS) is available to provide a counselling service from Monday to Friday between 9.30am and 5pm.

    The National Counselling Service has 20 years of experience in providing counselling and psychotherapy to a wide range of clients including those who have experienced psychological difficulties due to time spent in institutions. It employs qualified, accredited and experienced Counsellor/Therapists and its services are available free of charge across the country. The service aims to support clients to improve their quality of life and reduce their psychological distress through the provision of evidence based, professional, client centred counselling.

    Details of the National Counselling Service and contact details for each area are listed below.

    HSE Region Areas coveredTelephone number
    CHO Area 1Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim1800 234 119
    CHO Area 2Galway, Mayo and Roscommon1800 234 114
    CHO Area 3Limerick, Clare and North Tipperary1800 234 115
    CHO Cork, KerryCork and Kerry1800 234 116
    CHO Area 5Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow and South Tipperary1800 234 118
    CH EastSouth Dublin, South East Dublin and East Wicklow1800 234 111
    CH Dublin South, Kildare and West WicklowSouth West Dublin, Kildare and West Wicklow1800 234 112
    CHO Area 8Midlands: Laois, Offaly, Longford and Westmeath1800 234 113
    CHO Area 1/8Louth, Meath, Cavan and Monaghan1800 234 117
    CHO Area 9Dublin North and Dublin North City1800 234 110

    Outside of office hours, Connect Counselling provides telephone support. This service is available between 6pm and 10pm each day (7 days a week) on 1800 477 477.

    A new webpage with information specifically for former residents of Mother and Baby Homes has been set up by the HSE. 

    Additional mental health supports provided/funded by the HSE are also available to former residents. Details of these supports are available on

    For those living in the UK there are a number of organisations that offer support to survivors:

    For those based in the United States the Coalition of Irish Immigration Centers can be contacted for support. Contact details for local centres can be found here.